Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps used to cover teeth following treatment for decay or trauma. They can also be attached to a dental implant to replace a single lost tooth. Kenneth Curl, DDS, in The Woodlands, TX, can provide traditional dental crowns as well as same-day crowns created using CEREC® technology. You can depend on our practice to provide a crown that looks completely natural while restoring the comfort and health of your smile.
Dental Crown Uses
Dental crowns are a versatile treatment with many applications:
- Restoring weakened teeth – Teeth become weakened after treatment for extensive decay or trauma. A crown protects the tooth, allowing you to chew properly.
- Protecting fractured teeth – Teeth that have become fractured need protection and support. A crown provides the strength necessary to resist further damage.
- Restoring teeth after a root canal – After a root canal, a crown can protect the remaining dental tissue while restoring form and function to your smile.
- Enhancing dental aesthetics – If a porcelain veneer cannot conceal aesthetic imperfections, or if stains do not respond to whitening, a crown may be the best way to achieve cosmetic enhancement.
- Replacing a single lost tooth – For the right candidates, a dental implant can replace lost tooth roots and provide the ultimate support for replacement teeth. If you have lost a single tooth, an implant-supported crown can restore your smile while preventing the jawbone atrophy that occurs after tooth loss.
- Replacing an old or defective crown – Dental crowns can become worn, damaged, or stained. Dr. Curl can replace your crown with a new crown designed to restore the function and appearance of your smile. If the problem is only cosmetic, Dr. Curl can place special veneers called LUMINEERS® onto an old crown to improve its appearance without having to replace it.
How We Create and Place Crowns
First, Dr. Curl will treat the tooth. When decayed or damaged tissue has been removed, the tooth will be shaped to accommodate the crown. He will then take a digital impression of the tooth, which will guide us in creating the crown. If you are replacing a tooth with an implant-supported crown, Dr. Curl will take an impression of the implant and surrounding teeth.
We can use our CEREC® system to craft your crown from a single block of porcelain. This technology uses computer-guided milling tools to create your crown with exceptional efficiency and precision. When the crown is complete, Dr. Curl will secure it to the tooth. Once he has made any final adjustments to ensure that your bite meets comfortably, you can leave our office with a fully restored smile.
Same-day crowns are an incredibly convenient option with many benefits, but in some cases, a traditional crown may be best. For example, some premium materials require a longer fabrication period. If you require a traditional crown, Dr. Curl will provide a temporary restoration to wear in the meantime. Within about two weeks, you will return to our office to receive your permanent crown.
Book a Consultation
If you have lost a tooth, suffered dental trauma or extensive decay, or need to replace an old crown, Dr. Curl is here to help. If you are experiencing a toothache or another symptom of a dental complication, he will determine the right course of treatment and restoration. Call us at (281) 667-0832 or contact the office online.